The vast majority of heating systems in city apartments and private houses are constructed using radiators. But not everyone knows that these devices can have not only practical, but also aesthetic value. These are vertical heating radiators, which not only save space, but also make it possible to use them as elements of room design.
Vertical batteries - a new word in the design of heating equipment
The concept and principle of operation
Heating radiators are the most efficient way to transfer energy from a heat carrier circulating in pipes to the air in a room. The material from which the heating device is made is heated by hot water and begins to emit heat waves, which increase the temperature of the surrounding air masses and objects in the room.
However, engineers who develop these or other models of radiators, think not only about their technical characteristics, but also about their appearance. In particular, products are made that emphasize or complement the various styles of interiors. The category of design heaters include vertical (height 200 mm or more).
It should be noted that high batteries, presented on the construction market, can work not only together with a boiler and hot water. There are also oil radiators that run on electrical energy.
As for the appearance, size, color and other features, here the designers are limited only by imagination, since modern technologies allow to realize any, even the most unusual idea.
Well, the last moment concerns the saving of space. The vertical heater can be installed in places where the wide battery simply does not fit. The main thing is that the height of radiators does not exceed the distance from the floor to the ceiling.
Types of energy used
Any instruction describing the procedure for constructing a climate network of a dwelling suggests that before buying heating equipment it is necessary to determine the following characteristics:
- the preferred method of radiation of thermal energy - the wave is more efficient, and the convector heats the room faster;
- method of fixing the radiator on a vertical or horizontal surface (especially if you are going to install it with your own hands);
- the material from which the frame is made and the heat exchanger of the radiator - depends on this power and efficiency;
- heating method.
Currently, there are high heating panels of two main types:
- Working on the liquid coolant. In this case, a high battery, like the classic one, is connected to pipelines through which hot water circulates, heated by a gas or solid fuel boiler. Bimetallic radiators that have a durable steel frame and an aluminum heat exchanger that quickly and efficiently heat a room are especially popular.
The peculiarity of such systems in low inertia. After 15-20 minutes after the start of the heating system in the room noticeably warmer.
- Using electrical energy. Such models are resorted to in the case when the house is not connected to the gas supply system or it does not assume that people live year-round.
The main advantages of electric vertical radiators include:
- small weight;
- compact size;
- Convenience fixing in place.
After installation, they do not need to dock with heating pipes. It is enough that there is an electrical outlet with a ground near the battery.
Note! In addition to all the advantages listed above, high-voltage, electric-powered batteries make it possible to more accurately determine the temperature in a room through the use of automatic temperature-controlled devices. With their help, you can create a more comfortable environment and save electricity.
The disadvantage of this device is one - the high price of electricity. Independent heating systems with a gas boiler are more economical.
Varieties of materials
As is the case with conventional batteries, high radiators are made from a variety of different materials, each of which has its own advantages and disadvantages.
The most common types are:
- Cast iron. High cast iron batteries are distinguished by their reliability, long service life and comparative cheapness. Most often they are sold in sections, because of the large size of the assembled heater will have too much weight and dimensions.
If you decide to install such batteries in the room, you should take care of high-quality mounts. A vertical cast-iron battery that has fallen due to a broken bracket can cause not only great material damage, but also cause injury.
- Steel. This is the most common material in the manufacture of design elements of heating. Especially when it comes to tubular structures. Radiators made of steel can be of any size, shape and color.
The panels have a small weight, because they are easily fixed on the wall.
The lack of a solution is too active corrosion. Rust can corrode up to 1 mm of metal per year, which in 3-4 years will lead to leakage and the need for replacement.
- Aluminum. Like the classic radiator, it is characterized by rapid heating and high heat dissipation. Batteries are very light, reliable and can last up to 20 years.
During their operation it is important to carefully monitor the purity of the coolant. We are talking about cleaning it from acids and alkalis, which negatively affect the non-ferrous metal.
- Bimetallic systems. The most expensive and effective option. When you buy them you get all the benefits of using aluminum radiators, but you will not face negative sides - corrosion, as the coolant in bimetallic batteries flows through the steel tubes that make up the frame of the product.
By the way, copper can be used as a material for the manufacture of a heat exchanger. It also conducts heat well, but it also gives the battery an even more attractive appearance.
Disadvantages of high batteries
The use of vertical batteries has its drawbacks that must be considered before installing them:
- The efficiency of the radiator depends on the difference in air temperature and heat exchanger. This means that the upper part of the heater will work less efficiently, since it is under the ceiling that warm air accumulates.
- The cost of such structures is much more than the classic options. They are used precisely as a decorative element. If you do not need it, stop at the horizontal varieties.
- Considering that the heated air is lighter and does not descend, all the thermal energy generated by the upper part of the battery will be uselessly dissipated, practically without heating the rooms.
Installation of high heating radiators as a whole does not differ from the order of fixing classic batteries.
However, some features should be said:
- because of its large size, the weight of such a device is greater than that of the classical model, therefore, it is necessary to take care of reliable fastenings;
- it is possible to mount the battery only on the capital bearing wall, as fragile partitions (especially plasterboard) will not sustain its weight, which will increase several times after filling with water;
- It is advisable to purchase models with a lower liner of the pipeline, since a pipe that stretches across the entire wall is unlikely to look organically in the interior of a room.
Tip! If the inlet and outlet of the battery are not at the bottom, you can put the inlet pipe in the gate or decorative box.
When designing it is also advisable to adhere to the following tips:
- Do not connect copper pipes with an aluminum radiator. The contact point of these two materials will corrode and leak. It is better to use polymer parts that are easy to lay and can be bricked under the plaster.
- If your apartment is connected to a central heating system, purchase cast iron and bimetal batteries. For autonomous heating more suitable aluminum devices and steel panels.
- At the inlet and outlet nozzles, as well as jumpers between the pipes, it is desirable to install shut-off or control valves. So you can limit the amount of coolant entering the battery, as well as block part of the heating system in case of breakdown or the need to replace the device.
- When lowering the pipes at the top of the battery, an automatic or manual air valve should be installed (Mayevsky's crane).
- If a top-down scheme is used, it is advisable to make a compensator on the pipe going to the nozzle, otherwise the heated pipe will be curved.
High radiators, although similar to classic ones, have some features that need to be taken into account during installation and operation. Therefore, it is desirable to buy them only when it is justified by any design considerations.
You can learn more about decorative heating equipment from the video below.